Thursday, March 24, 2016

The real research: The cover page

Salutations and good day, here is the cover page blog that was promised (break has not engulfed me, I have not been compromised)!!

This post is centered on the cover page of my magazine (due to the importance that it holds), I want to focus on formatting and the layout of it, as well as start to get an idea of what makes a successful cover page.


I decided to start by using the Pinterest compilation that was made by Mrs.Stoklosa, there I found an article on what makes a successful cover page, and lets just say I learned a lot.

One of the main issues stressed was how the person featured in the cover looked, buyers do judge a book by its cover in this case and the cover page is the center of attraction for the buyer. The person featured should look directly at the camera, as if they were looking at the buyer. The cover page should also be simple and stick to the main concept of the magazine, this includes the cover lines and the masthead. The cover lines should be concise and to the point, they should attract the reader with minimum words and should be enticing, numbers and lists are a great way to attract readers.

I also looked into some art direction for the cover as well. The covers for Love magazine had incredible art direction, I am thinking of basing my cover page off of one of their covers. Their covers are different and are concurrent to the theme that they are expressing in their issue, its not just some smiley celebrity or model. I also love that their entire magazine is also more on the artsy urban side, I want to express this in my magazine as well, I want to embrace all kinds of beauty and turn it into a combination of fashion, lifestyle and art that is attainable to the public.

Next I conquer Indesign....

"55 Best Tips for a Successful Magazine Cover." Magazine Designing. N.p., 18 Feb. 2014. Web. 24 Mar. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment